Have you seen my house?

I recently went to a Memorial Day party, and brought dipped strawberries.
yes, they were yummy!
Several people asked me, "how did you find time to make those?" I answered truthfully, "have you seen my house?" They laughed, but I wasn't kidding! 


The exchange got me to thinking about my priorities and my new years resolution to be intentional. My husband, Patrick, often says that we make time for what is important. We all find time to eat, sleep and shower (although I know many of us skip those some days, too!). We make time to do the things we want to do. Baking and cooking is a stress reliever to me. So is watching TV...scanning facebook...talking on the phone...reading on my kindle. I seem to be able to do all those things. Cleaning my house? Folding laundry? Mopping the floor? Not so much. So those things get left & it shows. 

I've been convicted this week that I'm not doing the best I could be at my job....the home manager. Preschool is out (everyone is home all the time), the twins are teething together (lots and lots of crying), and its hot (lots of time spent inside). I'm crabby, on edge, irritated. I stopped to pray about this just last night. God, please show me how to improve my attitude. Please help me be better at my job. I'm overwhelmed with household tasks...my heart is restless. Help me to re-prioritize. Help me to see how to practically change.

I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit and know that I not only can change...God is calling me to.  I don't have family nearby that is able to help. I don't have a housekeeper or nanny. But I can organize my time differently and by doing so, live a bit more peacefully. Walking into a bedroom that is tidy does something to calm my otherwise uptight soul. While I say living in a mess doesn't bother me, truthfully I really think it does!

I often feel like this poor mom
I'm not an organized person by nature. I'm not type-A. Keeping my space tidy is not going to be easy (just ask my college roommates)! But when God calls us to do something, He gives us the power to do it. And I firmly believe that He can help me change! This is the vocation that the Lord has called me to, and He has already equipped me to do it well.....I just need to let Him do it.

So, why am I airring my dirty laundry, literally? By putting this out there in cyberland, its a way to hold myself more accountable. And to be real. I have a feeling I'm not the only out there that struggles as a home manager. And perhaps I can get some tips from you all on how YOU do it. I'm open to suggestions and encouragement :-)

Comments

Momma said…
You are awesome! and your kids are not likely to remember the small piles of stuff laying around.

However when I feel like I am falling behind, I like to stick in my headphones (so I can't hear the kids) and dance around to my favorite music while I clean. It lifts my spirits, and cleans my house.
Happy Mom = Happy kids = Happy Daddy.
Its a win for everyone.

I love your blog. :)
Sonja said…
Shana - I love your honesty and keeping EVERYTHING together and organized is not easy. I found this website in a magazine (I think it was Real Simple) and it had rave reviews. It is flylady.net It is sort of like an online personal trainer, but a personal trainer for decluttering, organizing and cleaning your house. Take a look at it. It's a way to also get connected with others going through the same struggle.

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Cry Over Spoiled Milk

I don't know how you do it

Why I love....bold honesty {my eating disorder recovery}