The First Year

When people found out I was pregnant with twins they would say "the first year is the hardest." A few twin moms encouraged me that it "wasn't that bad" but most well-intentioned people had me scared to death! While there were certainly many challenges (and lots of tears shed), the past year has been a delight and a double blessing in so many ways.
36 weeks 2 days.... right before admission


Seeing both twins for the first time.          with Natalie, while still preggo with Jenna

Natalie a few hours old

Jenna a few hours old

Our first birthday picture together

My mom was able to live with us for about 2 months right after the twins were born. She was such an incredible blessing to us. I was able to get some much needed early morning sleep (as moms of breastfeeding twins know...those are the most precious hours) while she took care of Allison (then 4) and Mia (then 2). She did all of the cooking, cleaning, and house keeping. And we were able to enjoy countless cups of tea while holding the twins. A second set of hands is just PURE awesomeness when navigating those first few months with 2 needy babies. Also, since my mom is a lactation consultant, she was able to help me successfully breastfeed both twins, even through a few bumps....like breathing issues and jaundice (and yes, they are still breastfeeding now).
Snuggle Sisters

they slept this way for 2 months. Jenna had a mild case of RSV; Natalie had a little breathing issue. We all slept better when the twins were upright.

My mom wore the twins a lot in the Moby Wrap while she was here

finger feeding Jenna to help her through the jaundice and super-sleepiness

Jenna on the bili bed at home

After hitting month 4, we seemed to get into somewhat of a groove and the twins became quite content. They developed their own personalities and it was so fun to watch them discover the world...and each other. They truly are 'siblings born on the same day' and hardly share any similar characteristics. It's impossible not to compare, but we find it so fun to watch them focus on different things. My friend Amber commented one day, "did you ever think you'd have babies that sat in a stroller and just looked around?" Oh my, no! Allison and Mia never sat still; and were those terrible babies in restaurants that fussed and whined. Nats and Jenners sit happily wherever and just soak in the scenery. They get pushed around in the double stroller A LOT. They often miss 1 or both naps; and just catch 20 minute snoozes when they can. Moms of multiple kids know that those 3rd, 4th and 5th kids kinda adapt to life lived in the van. But to have 2 do it at once is another blessing that I do not take for granted!!


4 months old

We are so incredibly grateful to the friends & family who helped us through this first year....especially those who helped babysit. We know it was a sacrifice, we know it wasn't easy, we KNOW. Thank you for saying yes, for holding and loving and nuturing; for encouraging, supporting, and cheering us on. Thank you for your optimism, your graciousness, and being the hands of Christ. This year would not have gone as wonderful if you had not been beside us. WE LOVE YOU!!!! I have a million pictures and I have just realized that I don't have any pictures of some of my closest friends so I apologize if you are not featured here.
My sister-in-law, Sonja. You know all the cute outfits the twins wear? 90% are from this awesome lady!!

Maggie. My incredible babysitter who lives next door. My girls LOVE Mags!

Amber & Annmarie. Those are Annmarie's twins, but this is the ONLY picture I have of these women. They are dear friends. Although I think now I can safely call them sisters.

Jen & Erin. My oldest & best friends in the world. A-MAZ-ING bonds we have

Patrick's oldest sister, Violet & her husband Steve, helped out many weekends early on.

Devin, Violet's daughter. She came for several weekends to help us with the twins.
How many hours have I spent on the phone with Leigh Ann??? She is one of my greatest encouragers and has helped me laugh A LOT this year. 

My sister-in-law, Susan, who has also greatly encouraged me, especially since we are both raising girls...and she is a step ahead of me so I am learning a great deal from her.


12 months. My babies are crawling. Jenna is trying to walk. Natalie is trying to talk. They are both FULL of giggles and hugs. Every baby is special....but these babies are my babies and I tear up thinking that they are a year old. I feel honored and blessed to have been chosen to be their mom. 
The cake!!

Natalie barely touched hers


Jenna dug right in!

The Birthday Girls in 2012!!

Comments

Paul DiFuccia said…
What a beautiful post, beautiful family, beautiful life you have been given!! I had tears of joy! Praising Him with you, dear Shana!!!

~~ Molly (sorry to have Paul's crazy picture but he's the guy on the account!)
Amber said…
Awww :) I cried through almost the whole thing! Such happy tears though. So blessed to have you, Patrick and all 4 of those precious girlies in my life. Love you guys!!
Becca said…
what an amazing post! beautiful family! you have persevered through an amazing year!
Mandy Leigh said…
love your blot! precious family! God is good!

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Cry Over Spoiled Milk

I don't know how you do it

Why I love....bold honesty {my eating disorder recovery}