Are you content?

"Don't set your heart on anything that is your neighbor's" ~Exodus 20:17

I always thought that #10 of the 10 Commandments, "Do not love your neighbor's wife" seemed completely doable. And because I never really  knew what coveting was, so I just kinda ignored that translation, too. But then I read Exodus 20 from The Message (kinda like a Cliff Notes Bible) and I thought, "oh, it means being content with what I have. Oh. Great." Where is the King James version again?

Some people are so content with the possessions they have. They are satisfied for all their stuff. They don't long to accumulate more stuff....in fact, they want to get rid of the stuff they have. They are not only content with their stuff, they are content with the people surrounding their stuff.
Don't you wish you had one of these out back?

Obviously, because I am writing this post, I am not one of them.  According to the dictionary, this means I'm not satisfied...I'm restless. [Sigh].  The more I try to be content, the less content I am. And the more I try to not look & compare myself to my neighbor, the more I want what they have. It's not that I'm not grateful. I am totally thankful for what I have. I just want more. Just a little more. And I justify this with the thought of how much of a better person I'd be, if for instance I had just a little more money. I'd give more away & I'd do more for others. If my house was just a little bigger, I'd be happier & more fun (at least I could send the kids upstairs)! If I slept more I'd be a more patient person. If I just had a little more, I'd enjoy life more. I'd certainly worry less, right?

Well, maybe not. When I look back at when I was my poorest (working as a CNA while in nursing school), I thought life would be so much better when I got a job...and could afford to eat more than black beans & rice. It didn't take long for my much better paying nursing job to not seem like much more. And this is a trend in other areas of my life--not just financial. When I get out of high school...when I finish college....when I get married....when I have a baby....when I can sleep through the night again....etc, etc. You get the picture.

It's not until I have looked back (ah, the joys that this new blog has brought to me :-)) that I see that this is an issue of attitude. It is a life changer.  And no, the Holy Spirit did not strike me and change me overnight. I wish. In fact, I have no real ending to this whole issue of contentment. Sorry, I wish I did. I SO wish I had these awesome words of wisdom to offer; in which I could say how my life dramatically changed when I instantly became content with everything in my life. I cannot wait to write the post telling you that this is so.


So, I am beginning small. As part of my resolution to be intentional, I've started a gratitude journal. I'm shifting my focus on what I want, to what in fact I already HAVE. And boy, I am surely blessed. I have A LOT. And I need the daily reminder of how much I have and how incredibly awesome all those things are...and not just stuff, but people, talents, attitudes, etc. God is good. And He's in the business of refining us, changing us, and molding us to be more like Him. I'm so glad He's patient with people like me who need lots of help.

Thanks for letting me be real! I'd love to hear how you have become more content. Please share!

Comments

Kim said…
Sometimes you learn to be content because God takes it all away. Not my favorite of all methods, but I still wouldn't trade it. I can fully relate to how you feel. I've been there. It's kind of like poor eating habits. You want to eat better, but you also want the brownie. You get mad at yourself for eating the brownie, but somehow end up coming back for more. Your mind has control, but the stomach trumps it way more often than we want to admit.

Love your new header. What a precious picture!

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Cry Over Spoiled Milk

I don't know how you do it

Why I love....bold honesty {my eating disorder recovery}